Friday, January 17, 2020

Direct Me to Someone Who Needs the Gospel

Finding Joy in Sharing the Gospel
BY CRISTINA B. FRANCO Second Counselor in the Primary General Presidency

Since then, Susana has become one of the greatest missionaries I have ever met. She is like the sons of Mosiah, bringing many souls to Christ.

In one of our conversations, I asked her, “What is your secret? How do you share the gospel with others?”

 She told me, “It is very simple. Every day before I leave my house, I pray, asking Heavenly Father to direct me to someone who needs the gospel in their life. I sometimes take a Book of Mormon to share with them or passalong cards from the missionaries—and when I start talking to someone, I simply ask them if they have heard about the Church.”

Susana also said, “Other times I just smile while I am waiting for the train. One day a man looked at me and said, ‘What are you smiling about?’ He kind of caught me off guard.

 “I replied, ‘I’m smiling because I’m happy!’

“He then said, ‘And what are you so happy about?’

 “I answered, ‘I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and that makes me happy. Have you heard about it?’”

 When he said no, she gave him a pass-along card and invited him to attend the upcoming Sunday services. The following Sunday, she greeted him at the door.

President Dallin H. Oaks taught: “There are three things all members can do to help share the gospel. . . . “First, we can all pray for desire to help with this vital part of the work of salvation. . . . “Second, we can keep the commandments. . . . Faithful members will always have the Savior’s Spirit . . . with them to guide them as they seek to participate in the great work of sharing the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. “Third, we can pray for inspiration on what we can do . . . to share the gospel with others . . . [and] pray with a commitment to act upon the inspiration [we] receive.”

 Brothers, sisters, children, and youth, can we be like my friend Susana and share the gospel with others? Can we invite a friend who is not of our faith to come to church with us on Sunday? Or can we perhaps share a copy of the Book of Mormon with a relative or a friend? Can we help others find their ancestors on FamilySearch or share with others what we have learned during the week as we have been studying Come, Follow Me? Can we be more like our Savior, Jesus Christ, and share with others what brings us joy to our lives? The answer to all of these questions is yes! We can do it!

No comments: