Sunday, May 29, 2016

Don't You Know That I Know That He Has Asthma?

  • APRIL 2016
  • THE REDEEMING AND STRENGTHENING POWER OF THE SAVIOR’S ATONEMENT

The Redeeming and Strengthening Power of the Savior’s Atonement

Kim B. Clark
Of the Seventy
From a devotional address, “All Things Which Are Good Cometh of Christ,” delivered at Brigham Young University–Idaho on March 31, 2015. For the full address, go toweb.byui.edu/devotionalsandspeeches.

In 1982 my father and mother submitted their papers to serve a mission. When the call came, it shocked my mother. They had been called to serve in the Philippines Davao Mission.
“No!” my mother exclaimed to my father. “You’ve got to call them and tell them we can’t go to the Philippines. Don’t they know you have asthma? And I don’t want to deal with all those lizards and bugs.”
My father reminded my mother that she had always encouraged him never to turn down a call from the Lord. She knew that was true, but that didn’t make her feel any better. One night a few days later she woke my dad up at about 2:30 a.m.
“Did you hear that voice?” she asked.
“No, I didn’t hear any voice,” he replied.
“Well, I have heard the same voice three times tonight. It said, ‘Why are you worrying? Don’t you know that I know he has asthma? I will take care of him and you. Get yourself ready to serve in the Philippines.’”
My mother and father went forward with faith in the Lord and had a marvelous experience in the Philippines. My father served as the first counselor in the mission presidency, and he and my mother trained hundreds of missionaries and thousands of faithful Latter-day Saints in preparation for the coming of wards and stakes on the island of Mindanao.
ListenDownloadPrintShare

No comments: