Worshipping Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ Through Sacred Music
By Melanie Jex
Church Music Team
When Hymns for Home and Church was prepared, Church leaders carefully reviewed the lyrics of each hymn to make sure the doctrine was clear and accurate. For example, the lyrics of the song “When I Am Baptized,” as sung by children around the world in many languages, have spoken of our wrongs being “washed away.”
Some interpreted those words to mean that baptism’s waters cleanse us from sin. As Church leaders reviewed these words, they chose to adjust the lyrics to teach more clearly that the Savior, Jesus Christ, is the source of cleansing from sin. The revised words in the second verse now read:
I know when I am baptized I choose the Savior’s way,
And I will be forgiven as I turn to Him each day.”
...Sacred music is a participation-based experience. It is not reserved for the musically talented. The Lord has said He delights “in the song of the heart” (Doctrine and Covenants 25:12). He didn’t set a standard for vocal skill or instrumental ability—only that we sing from our hearts. As Elder Patrick Kearon encouraged, “So let’s sing! And praise Him! [Psalm 100:1].”
No comments:
Post a Comment