Thursday, June 13, 2019

Be a Better Parent

The Functional Family

Sometimes as parents we slip into the role of a manager seeking to control our children because we expect a desired result. The problem with this approach is that children resist coercion or compulsion, especially as they get older. We will be more effective the less we act as managers and the more we act as coaches, consultants, and guides. That means that we teach our children correct principles and, as their maturity and experience allow, continue to grant them greater latitude to make choices and reap the consequences....

One of the best ways parents can strengthen their families is to establish a specific time each week to discuss how the family is doing.

Examples of unintentional though often harmful messages include ignoring or being impatient with a child. If you are too busy to spend time with your son or daughter, you might be sending the message “You are not very important to me.” ...

talk together; play together; spend one-on-one time together; send letters, cards, or notes sharing your affection; give compliments; do something fun and unexpected; say, “I love you”; listen to the other person; ask him or her to help you on a project; share personal feelings...

  • Do I want my children to be patient? Yes, so I try to be as patient with them as I can.
  • Do I want my children to relax, have fun, and learn to enjoy life? Yes, because I believe these qualities are vital to developing healthy, happy relationships. I try to have fun with my children as often as I can.
  • Do I want my children to read the scriptures and wholesome books? Yes, so I make sure they see me reading, and I read to them.
  • Do I want my children to care about family relationships? Yes, so I kiss and hug them, smile at them, listen to them, play with them, and share personal experiences with them.
We as parents need to live worthy of the guidance of the Holy Ghost at all times, especially when things get tough...

Remember to be patient with yourself and your family members.

No comments: