Sunday, February 3, 2013

Strength for Our Burdens


 “Fortunately, the hopeful and certain truth is that no matter what, we can find strength and encouragement. Our burdens can become lighter, even if they do not suddenly go away. We can emerge on the other side of the darkest abyss, stronger and more resolute, better men and better women.

“Having been proven in the crucible of affliction, we will have cultivated a character that is able to face and withstand future life shocks. As a result, we can use our experiences to life and empathize with others. Our own example of personal perseverance can give hope to others and inspire our families. We become more fit for the future.

“While adversity may be slow to leave us, we can choose to leave it any time. The Lord’s promise to us is as it was to Alma and his people in the midst of horrendous persecution.

“”Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.

“”And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs” (Mosiah 24:13-14).

“Furthermore, the Lord has confirmed, “I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you” (John 14:18).”

Elder David S. Baxter, “Leaving Adversity Behind,” Ensign, Dec 2012, 25-26. 

No comments: