Sunday, February 4, 2018

Would my spouse be pleased if he or she knew I was doing this?

President Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994) counseled, “If you are married, avoid flirtations of any kind. … What may appear to be harmless teasing or simply having a little fun with someone of the opposite sex can easily lead to more serious involvement and eventual infidelity. A good question to ask ourselves is this: Would my spouse be pleased if he or she knew I was doing this? Would a wife be pleased to know that her husband lunches alone with his secretary? Would a husband be pleased if he saw his wife flirting and being coy with another man? My beloved brothers and sisters, this is what Paul meant when he said: ‘Abstain from all appearance of evil’ (1 Thessalonians 5:22).”


Ezra Taft Benson, “The Law of Chastity,” in 1987–88 Brigham Young University Devotional Addresses (1988), 52.

No comments: